Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Boyfriend that Never Was

"Thank you so much for the great memories after all those years. You are a very beautiful person. I pray that we remain good friends. Missed you..."         - fred


The above is a text message sent to me today by a former high school classmate who was supposed to be my boyfriend during that time, though I never knew - funny! This they told me when we met again on thanksgiving day 2010, after thirty four years, when he came to visit together with another classmate who works overseas. 

He is based in the US and had come to visit only for the third time since. The emotions were spontaneous at that moment. Hugs and laughter and recalls of memories...those years when we were doing all things in our innocence...that is why we want to go back to them, because it is those years that we were pure, no colors, no ideologies, young...just like the meristematic cells of plants - not yet developed, still to undergo transformation to become specialized to do certain functions. It is like we were all the same meristem cells - fresh from childhood but about to absorb more training in college and in work to become what we were programmed to be in our genes. 
   
Though we graduated from the same university, we were both surprised that we never encountered each other during my four years and his five years there. I was in the College of Natural Sciences while he was at the College of Engineering. At the time, the university has a population of about twenty thousand students. 

I knew he was a US Navy since I have seen their photos when they had a mini class reunion hosted by a good friend and classmate who is also based in the US. He is still working now - not sure though if still the same - as his two kids are still young. He married rather late. He had traveled the world, enjoyed his life, and was not able to get a wife earlier.

He thinks he may even know my estranged husband since they went to the same college at the same time but my ex husband shifted and graduated BS Mathematics with them then went back to finish his BSEE course after.
   
Two hours is all we could stay at their thanksgiving party since we had work the next day. He insisted to bring me home, "What is thirty minutes?" - he argued.

I also knew he had surrendered his life to the Lord even during their college years with another classmate who is now a pastor and a principal in a high school in Manila. We have a website where we communicate and keep abreast. I know he has entered God's arch many years ago.

In that thirty minutes ride home, he asked if my two sons had the same father. Smiling, I gave him a brief overview of my life's second phase. 

Being inside the arch makes one acquire wisdom. He was so happy to know that I have surrendered too, had entered the arch, and now am found and healed. 

I knew the joy that he felt for me that moment as he hugged me at my driveway saying, "...My sister in Christ!..."

And so the text message above...he must be at the airport back to the US... 


The photos below were taken during the said thanksgiving party. The first one was when he was telling me he was my boyfriend that I never knew about... and the second one is with our classmates after the revelations...


  ...It's another enjoyment phase thread connected to education phase...new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment